Lanier Technical College
2017 - 2018
Catalog and Student Handbook
Photo of Graduates
Veterans and Eligible Dependents
VA Education Benefits:
The Road Map for Success!

There are many types of Veteran Education benefits. It can be overwhelming to try to make sense of it all and know which benefit will be best for you. Many veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefit program. Depending on individual circumstances, one of these programs may give a student better benefits than the others.

Please devote some time to explore all your options. Below you can see each benefit. Click on the links below to expand a brief description.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/1 GI Bill
Chapter 33 - Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill - Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
Chapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance

The department of Veteran Affairs has developed a step-by-step process that may help a student compare the different education programs and help the student decide which is best for them.

If you are ready to start on the Road Map for Success,
then follow these links to the GI Bill website.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/1 GI Bill
Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. (Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible, or have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP), or Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD).

The Post 9-11 GI Bill® will pay eligible individuals full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. For those enrolled solely in distance learning the housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents (($754.50 for the 2015 fiscal year). An annual books & supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Download the Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Packet

Chapter 33 - Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
As of August 1, 2009, service members have the ability to transfer unused education benefits to their spouses or dependents. First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits.

For more information on the Department of Defense website visit:

Download the Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Packet

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty
If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation, or call the toll-free number below, for information about your eligibility.

If you are separated from service, you may be an eligible veteran if you: entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985; received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service; received an honorable discharge; continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.

Download the Chapter 30 Educational Benefits Packet

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve
The MGIB-SR® program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. To qualify, you must meet the following requirements: Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990; Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT); Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement; Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB - SR® eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

Download the Chapter 1606 Educational Benefits Packet

Chapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance:
To be an eligible for Survivors' & Dependents' Education Assistance you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:
a veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces; a veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence; a service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force; a service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power; a service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient care for a VA determined service-connected permanent and total disability may be eligible for DEA benefits. (Effective December 23, 2006)

Download the Chapter 35 (Survivors & Dependents) Educational Benefits Packet

VA Forms and Helpful links:
Chapter 31 - VA/VR:
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

A VA Veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 must first apply for services and receive an appointment with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). The VRC will work with the Veteran to determine if an employment handicap exists as a result of his or her service connected disability. If an employment handicap is established and the Veteran is found entitled to services. The VRC and the Veteran will continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the Veteran's rehabilitation and employment needs.

The rehabilitation plan will specify an employment or independent living goal, identify intermediate goals, and outline services and resources that VA will provide to assist the Veteran to achieve his / her goals. The VRC and the Veteran will work together to implement the plan to assist the Veteran to achieve his or her employment and / or independent living goals.

If A Veteran is found not to be entitled to CH 31 services, the VRC will help him or her locate other resources to address any rehabilitation and employment needs identified during the evaluation. Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs; Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans; state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development; internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment; and information about applying for financial aid.

For more information about this benefit click here:
For more information regarding VA Benefits, the processes for verification, or any other VA/Lanier Tech related questions, please contact Lanier Technical College’s VA School Certifying Official.
Phone: 770-533-7022
Fax: 678-989-3181
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader